Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sorting & Placing: Briar Rose Quilt A Loooong

So I have 20 fabrics, 21 6" squares. I think I"ll make my quilt 20x20, squares set on point. First I need to figure out what order I want my fabrics in & I want to make sure the size works.

this layout was purple, pink, red


Then I decided I like purple, red, pink better but this quilt only used 19 of the patterns; it was missing the orange calico (my least favorite pattern of the bunch...) I also didn't like having the 2 frog prints at the very top & very bottom. 

I think this is my best option. Orange calico & blue calico are touching & the colors kind of go purple, red, pink, orange, yellow, blue, green but I'm going with it. 

After a couple of false starts, I decided this is the layout I like the best. My squares are approx 8.5" on the diagonal so approx 8" finished (plus additional shrinking in the wash...). Checking my A squared plus B squared equals C squared, the diagonal should be 8.485. PERFECT. Looks like my 20x20 quilt will be 80" & then shrink in the wash. 

Top 

Middle 

Bottom

I didn't have enough room in my hallway to layout an entire 20x20 quilt & I needed to hustle because I spent too long deciding on color order so I tried to stack the blocks up tilted how I want them.  This meant tilting my strawberries in opposite directions and making sure that the vignettes were spaced out in the hex bee, nanny bee & frog pond prints. Hopefully I did it correctly because this is going to be one of those quilts where I don't notice these mistakes until it's almost finished. For some reason I'm having a lot of trouble keeping this quilts layout straight in my head... there's probably a lot of seam ripping in my future. 

Next up, sewing my rows. I stacked my blocks on point from left to right & numbered my rows from 1-20 (top to bottom). So my sewing will start at top left corner & end with bottom right corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment